Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A Friend Has Died

I have learned that a close friend of mine has died.  How do you go on when one who has been with you for years and years suddenly and without warning just up and expires?  How can you live life when the one who gets you going just is not there any more?

You are always left wondering why.  How did it happen?  I don’t think age was an issue.  Twenty-seven can hardly be considered old in anyone’s book.  It is just wrong to be taken so early.  Here one minute and gone the next! How fleeting is life!  All the old, stale, trite, and hackneyed phrases come to mind.  Just do not say to me, “It was all for the best” or “At least there is no more suffering.”  How could it be for the best?  And what in the hell do you know about suffering anyway?

You say, “Well, you still have the memories. No one can take those away.”  Ok.  I’ll concede that one.  I remember the first day we met.  Late 70’s.  Those were the days.  Disco.  Donna Summer. Wild Cherry. Yeah, Play That Funky Music White Boy.  I always associate events with music, with the song flava of the moment.  We connected over Boston.  It was “More Than a Feeling” that sealed the relationship.  Or was it “Foreplay/Long Time?”  Ahh, memory, it’s good when you have it.  Too bad some things are fading.

I think about the times together.  How about those parties back in Salem?  We would invite it seems like the whole church up to the house and have people sleeping all over the place – in the bedrooms, yes, but also in the living room, the dining room, and even in the kitchen.  If they didn’t fit there, they slept in their cars.  But before sleep – what little there was of it – it was blast time.  

Everyone assembled on the car port for an evening of “Manuel music” played absolutely full blast.  You know in your heart that the only way to really listen to music is to experience the feeling of the sound waves pulsating over your entire body.  Yeah, the neighbors really appreciated that.  Lynyrd Skynyrd was always there for the Southern National Anthem, “Freebird.”  I get chills when I think about that song to this day.  Puts a little starch in the spine; a little life in the step.  Of course, then, it was an evening of contorting the body for the whole song – not the radio version.  What a workout!  And no, the evening was not complete without the aforementioned Wild Cherry composition.   Have you ever seen a woofer get excited when “Play That Funky Music” starts?  If the woofer is trembling, then you know the human form has to follow suit.  

We did have morals.  We weren’t high!  If we had an ordained person present, we would always play Steely Dan’s “Deacon Blues” or maybe just for the message, a cut like “Gotta Serve Somebody” from Bob Dylan’s religious album, Slow Train Coming.  You need to listen to that album sometimes; good stuff, more for chilling than cavorting.   But I digress.  

We were together through the good times and through the hard times.  When I came home from a day of counseling at dear old Tamassee-Salem High, we would get together in the living room where I would get my own therapy – the sonic boom variety.  Getting smashed with sounds from Kansas, Foreigner, the Doobies, or KC was a guaranteed means of clearing the mind and obliterating all troubles.  And who else would gladly listen as I belted out the Eagles Greatest Hits or Harry Chapin Live?  I won’t even talk about sharing moments listening to Donna Summer’s adults-only and breathy “Love to Love You Baby” - all 16 minutes and 50 seconds of it.  Better stop thinking about that.  Time to move on…

Good memories continued as the years passed.  During the Gerald Weston years, we shared the stage DeeJaying dances and sock hops.  James Brown’s “I Feel Good” had to be our theme song.  We had a great time getting the crowd into two lines and seeing everyone throw caution to the wind doing their own “danse interpretative moves.”

But in recent years, the relationship had changed as many relationships do.  We just didn’t have the chance to get together as much.  It’s not that we didn’t enjoy each other’s company.  Life’s circumstances changed.  There just was not the time.  At times like this, you always look back with regret and wonder what might have been.  Could we not have just touched base for a few minutes every day?  Really, why not?

I know in time the sadness will cease, but the memories will remain.  So with this eulogy, I bid you adieu my old friend of so many years.  My Kenwood KR-6600 stereo receiver.

9 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Don't you ever do this to me again. I got the joke somewhere around the third paragraph. Oh you wicked, wicked man!!!

I guess you can't be that wicked if you're so generous with your blueberries though.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I second that motion. I was racking my brain through the whole blog trying to figure out who you were such close friends with that was 3 years younger than me!!!!

And since that is the only stereo I ever knew, and I remember all of those wild parties -ah, waking up at the age of four, wandering through the house to find people sleeping under the counter in the kitchen - I mourn, too.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 8:20:00 AM  
Blogger Desiree said...

Ditto to the first three. I was about to call and say, "Did Hanes die??" Then I read the "twenty-seven years old" part and was like, "WHAT???"

Don't go around thinking your witty. Just don't.

I know that, somewhere in the upstate of South Carolina, a loud, high-pitched laugh can be heard. I feel for you Summer, I feel for you.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Summer from Lorelei Caroline said...

That was a cruel, cruel thing. I read the first paragraph and immediately asked Heather who died and why on earth you didn't mention anything this morning.

Look on the bright side, there will always be Onkyo, that little Asian beauty, wating for you in the living room.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Summer from Lorelei Caroline said...

HAHAHA! I didn't see your comment until just now...after about five minutes of dad's infamous laughing. That was perfect. :)

Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger seekingtruth7 said...

Let 'em rant Manuel. You're The Man! I remember when a favorite Boom Box of mine woofed its last.....I don't believe it, I'm getting misty eyed even now.

I can see your music blasting away while you're exercising downstairs. That's my favorite time to kick it. Of course, it's good that I have a door or two between me and the Mrs. when she's home. I have unusual taste in music, or so I'm told. By the way, I can't listen to "Love To Love You Baby" while exercising. I don't like to take long pauses between sets and that song has a tendency to stop me in my tracks!

Glad to see you've gone public! The future looks brighter and brighter. Oh yeah, my best wishes in your time of mourning :(

Thursday, August 25, 2005 1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Good one, Manuel! You really got me. Very creative.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger Desiree said...

I read this out loud to my roommate and she said, "Write on there that I think that's fantastic."

So, my roommate thinks you're fantastic and wants to meet you.

Friday, August 26, 2005 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post.
-Aaron

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home